Over a year ago, Google+ was launched with much fanfare. Back then, it instantly caught the interest of the tech world. It was seen as Google’s latest attempt at stealing the thunder from other social media giants; more specifically from arch rival Facebook.
Google+ has hundreds of millions of users to-date; quite an accomplishment considering it has existed for just over a year. But this rapid growth is a wealth of opportunity for internet marketers. The way to capitalize on this opportunity is to properly set up and optimize your Google+ profile.
Google holds the lion’s share of the search market, and is the largest provider of information online. If you have a properly optimized Google+ account, the chance of getting found by your target customers is much greater. That’s because Google+ profiles and Pages (for businesses) tend to be given priority by Google in the search results.
So how do you set up and properly optimize a Google+ account?
1. Use the name that you are known for. Whether you are setting up a personal profile or a business page on Google+, make it easy for customers to find you. If you’re known as Bob Gray, use that name instead of Robert Gray.
2. Use the Tagline to your advantage. The Tagline section allows you to tell people about what you do. The simple rule of thumb is to use keywords in the description area and to keep it under 160 characters, which is the limit displayed in search engine snippet results (often pulled from the meta description tag).
Strategically write your Tagline by using very specific words like “Video Marketer”, “Copywriter”, “SEO Specialist” and “Content Developer”. Avoid fluff.
3. Use the Introduction like an elevator pitch. The Introduction section offers you an opportunity of a lifetime, just like in real elevators. It’s in the introduction where you can let your potential customers know specifically what you do.
The key is to be very specific. What do you do? What projects are you involved in? What projects are you looking for? How can you specifically provide value to customers? Remember to use a hook, something that will catch their attention within your introduction, because you only have about three seconds to hold your target customer’s attention.
4. Brag, like a boss. Yes, brag about how different you are from all the rest of the consultants out there. What sets you apart? What can you offer that no one else can? What were your achievements? Have you written a book about your expertise? Have you previously done some social media consulting for a celebrity?
5. Keep it fresh. Google loves fresh content. There’s an even greater chance for your social media profile to stay on top of the search results if you frequently update your profile. Sharing your thoughts on industry-relevant news or sharing some useful links to your network should be enough to keep your profile alive.
Keep your Google+ profile active by using it on a consistent basis, and use it to interact with your customers. This strategy will effectively position you as one of the experts in your field that your target customers can rely on.
How Google+ will overcome Facebook is yet to be seen. We don’t know what the future holds for Google+, or for the entire social media space, but we do know that Google is putting a lot of emphasis on Google+ right now, and as a marketer, it’s best to leverage that effort.
One thing’s for sure, though; Google+ is growing at a staggering rate. More and more people are realizing its huge potential. Thus, it’s imperative to make Google+ part of your online marketing strategy.
Keep these tips in mind when optimizing your Google+ profile for long-term results, and don’t hesitate to reach out if you need assistance!
Interested in getting help growing your website traffic? Contact us.